Your teeth can move out of place throughout your life after getting orthodontic treatment of braces or aligners. It is necessary to prevent your teeth from shifting after removing the braces or aligners. Your orthodontist will fit you for retainers after removing your braces. Retainers are the orthodontic appliances that help your teeth to remain in a new position after your orthodontic treatment of braces or aligners.There are two types of retainers to choose from: Removable and Permanent retainers.
Removable retainers are the orthodontic appliances you wear in your mouth for several hours every day. These retainers are removable, which means you can remove them for eating, brushing, and flossing.
Removable retainers come in two types:
- Hawley Retainers: These retainers cover the upper part of your mouth and a wire that goes across the front of your teeth. These retainers are custom-made and come in a variety of designs. Because this type of retainer is customizable, the orthodontist can make modest adjustments to your alignment after removing the braces.
- Essix Retainers: These retainers are made of transparent plastic and slip effortlessly over your teeth to keep your alignment. These retainers are very popular because of their invisibility. But it is the most difficult to clean as it can trap moisture against the teeth.
Benefits of removable retainers
- They are easy to use and comfortable.
- These retainers are removable. You can easily maintain your oral hygiene. You are free to remove your retainers while eating, brushing, and flossing.
- They protect your teeth from grinding and clenching.
- You can choose your design and color as removable retainers are custom-made.
Permanent retainers are for those patients who get intense orthodontic treatment and need extra care to protect the teeth from shifting back to their original position. The orthodontist will glue a wire to the back of them. There are different types of bonded wire retainers, and your orthodontist’s suggestion will depend on the condition of your bite, alignment, and your comfort preferences.
Benefits of permanent retainers
- You can eat and brush without any trouble with permanent retainers as they are not removable.
- A fixed retainer is attractive because it is bonded to the back of the teeth, where no one can see it when you speak or smile.
- Permanent retainers are very effective as you wear them all the time. Therefore, the chances of relapse of teeth are almost zero.
- Permanent retainers are just simple wires, so they are very comfortable.
Retainers are essential in orthodontic care because they keep your teeth aligned. Aside from the confidence boost, having a beautiful smile might help you avoid dental issues. There are several solutions for straightening your teeth, and it is essential to explore them and see what you can accomplish.
*This media/content or any other on this website does not prescribe, recommend, or prevent any treatment or procedure. Therefore, we highly recommend that you get the advice of a qualified dentist or other medical practitioners regarding your specific dental condition*